This course provides the ground work for all subsequent systems modules. This module is designed to provide the “big picture” of Systems testing. The course identifies the differences between systems and vehicle testing with emphasis on digital architecture. 1553 Data Bus architecture is described in detail, and the student is also exposed to ARINC 429, Mil-Std 1760, Firewire, EBR-1553 and other future applications. Time, Space, Position Information is described in its relation and importance to Systems testing. Software development and test and its impact on Flight Test is discussed in detail. The impact to the aircrew in the area of workload and Human Factors is addressed in this module as a first test with new systems. A detailed review of basic electrics, electromagnetics and antennas is presented in this module. Classroom instruction is reinforced with in-class exercises and an available flight demonstration lab (T&E 4201a) and flight evaluation (T&E 4211).
Anticipated Student Academic Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course of instruction, the student will have a basic understanding of performance flight test procedures, techniques, and data analysis. He/she will:
Be familiar with
1. Other types of Data Busses.
2. Avionic systems specifications and regulations (1553, 1760, 429).
3. Human factors principles and understand workload issues in testing avionic systems.
4. Electromagnetics and Antennas and how they relate to Avionics testing.
5. The unique problems associated with Avionics and Weapons Testing.
6. 1553 data bus architectures.
7. Data collection, reading, and data analysis procedures.
8. Software test and configuration management principles.
Sequence of Instruction
Introduction To Systems Flight Test
Introduction To Data Bus Architecture
Data Collection, Reading & Analysis
Software Test & Configuration Management
Specifications & Regulations
Data Bus Exercise
Time Space Position Information Exercise
Electrics, Electromagnetics and Antennas
Test & Evaluation Crew Resource Management
Workload Exercise & Assignment
Texts and Reference Materials
“MIL-STD 1553 Designers Guide,” Data Device Corp.
NTPS Course notes
Process of Evaluation