This course is designed to provide technical and human factors information regarding NVGs, NVIS (NVG compatible) lighting, and the integration of both in the aircraft. Emphasis is placed on system evaluation techniques, which are based on years of practical experience in a number of different aircraft. Topical information in the academic lectures is reinforced during NVG lab and aircraft demonstrations.
Anticipated Student Academic Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course of instruction, the student will have a basic understanding NVG and NVIS lighting technology, the integration of NVGs from a system perspective, and ground and flight evaluation procedures and data analysis of NVGs and NVIS lighting.
Be familiar with
1. The history, evolution and current applications of night vision goggles.
2. Different types of night vision goggles.
3. Human factors considerations associated with the use of NVGs
4. NVIS interior and exterior lighting methods.
5. Electro optic senses integration.
6. NVIS evaluation techniques.
Sequence of Instruction
NVG Components/Adjustment Procedures
NVIS Lighting Specifications
NVIS Lighting Methods: Interior
NVIS Lighting Methods: Exterior
Test Criteria Development
NVG and NVIS Lighting Evaluation Techniques
Introduction to EO Theory
EO Sensor Integration
NVG Flight Mishaps
Texts and Reference Materials
NTPS Course notes
Process of Evaluation