An intensive development of the methods used to determine the static stability of fixed-wing aircraft and the implications of incorrect levels. Subjects include the regulatory requirements and flight test techniques involved to determine the longitudinal, lateral, directional, maneuvering, and flight path stability of single and multi-engined aircraft. Included is an introduction to mechanical flight control systems, Mach effects and roll performance.
Anticipated Student Academic Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course of instruction, the student will have a basic understanding of classic open loop stability and control flight test techniques, and data analysis. He/she will:
Be familiar with
1. Mechanical flight control systems.
2. Aircraft trim systems.
3. Mach effects on stability and control.
4. The practical importance and associated regulatory requirements of each type of stability.
5. The “big picture” of flying qualities evaluation.
6. How to determine the engine-out capability of an aircraft using flight test techniques.
7. How to determine the longitudinal static stability of an aircraft using flight test techniques.
8. How to determine the maneuvering stability of an aircraft using flight test techniques.
9. How to determine the lateral-directional static stability of an aircraft using flight test techniques.
10. How to determine the flight path stability of an aircraft using flight test techniques.
Sequence of Instruction
Flying Qualities Testing Overview
Mechanical Flight Control Systems
Longitudinal Static Stability
Longitudinal & Maneuvering Stability Requirements and Flight Test Techniques
Lateral Directional Static Stability
Engine Out Requirements & Flight Test Techniques Roll Performance
Flight Path Stability / Trim Systems
Tutorials: Longitudinal Static Stability, Maneuvering Stability, Lateral-Directional Static Stability
Exams: Longitudinal & Maneuvering Stability, Lateral-Directional & Asymmetrics
Texts and Reference Materials
NTPS Professional Course Textbook Series, Vol. IV, “Fixed-Wing Flying Qualities Flight Testing”
Process of Evaluation